Cauliflower is nutritious and versatile. Its mild flavor can be the background for all kinds of creative and flavorful recipes.
Cauliflower Nutrition Facts
One head of cauliflower contains:
- 146 calories, making it ideal for healthy, weight loss friendly recipes
- 1.6g fat (for the entire medium sized head)
- 472% vitamin C to help boost immunity and flush toxins from your body
- 1758mg potassium to help regulate blood pressure
- 11g protein to feed your muscles
- 55% vitamin B6 to boost brain and neurological function
Here’s a wonderful cauliflower bake recipe from Health Coach Jennifer Kaye.
Loaded Cauliflower Bake
- 3 1/2 cups (12.32oz) cauliflower florets (7 greens)
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided 4 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese, divided (1 leans) (2 leans)
- 12 oz low-fat plain Greek yogurt (1 leanest) 1 1/2 cups (5.28oz) green onions, sliced (3 greens) 5-1 oz slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled (1 lean)
- 1 clove garlic, grated (1 condiment)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (1 condiment) 1/4 teaspoon salt (1 condiment)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steam cauliflower florets until tender.
While cauliflower steams, cream together 4 oz of the shredded cheddar, 4 oz of the Monterey Jack, and yogurt. Stir in sliced green onions, chopped bacon, and garlic. Set aside.
Drain any liquid from steamed cauliflower and add to cheese mixture.
Stir cauliflower and cheese mixture together. Taste for seasoning, and add as necessary.
If you want a finer texture, give a few mashes with the potato masher. Pour into a 2-3 quart casserole and sprinkle on remaining cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.
Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes; remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is brown and bubbly.
Makes 5 servings.
Regain Your Health with Jennifer Kaye
Jennifer Kaye works as an Independent OPTAVIA Coach and SPIN, TRX, RealRyder & Group Fitness instructor. She is certified in Health & Nutrition.