This almost makes me cry. Actually, yes. I am officially welling up a little. Meals on Wheels of Hunterdon is asking you to help make a senior’s meal delivery extra special.
They have placed a blue and white cooler outside the Hunterdon Senior Center (4 Gauntt Place, Flemington, NJ). You can drop off a special note to brighten up a senior’s day and let him or her know that someone out there cares.
This is a thoughtful gesture and fun project to do on a rainy day… or how about on a super hot day in the air conditioning? Involve the kids. Teach them that it’s nice to think about others and how they may be feeling. Kids can draw pictures, share a poem or a picture of a pet. Imagine what you can come up with together that will make an elderly person smile.
More About Meals on Wheels in Hunterdon, NJ
Do you ever wonder what happens to the elderly, retired citizens of our communities who can no longer work and may be on a severely limited budget, have little or no means of transportation and for whom relatives may not be near to lend a helping hand?
In some places, like Hunterdon County, NJ, they are supported by programs such as Meals on Wheels, which is partially funded by Title III of the Older Americans Act. Meals on Wheels of Hunterdon serves residents age 60 and over. It is a private, non-profit organization offering a number of programs to meet the varying needs of their recipients.
Meals on Wheels of Hunterdon, Inc. Programs include:
- Home Delivered Nutrition: provides Hunterdon’s home-bound seniors with a nutritionally balanced meal and an assurance check each weekday between the hours of 11 am to 1 pm.
- Weekend Home Delivered Meals: participants receive a hot meal on Friday plus cold bag lunches for weekend consumption.
- Congregate Nutrition: Monday through Friday, 11am to 1pm, independent seniors are served a nutritious meal at their nutrition site, along with provided educational and recreational programming.
- Nutrition Education: The Meals on Wheels registered dietitian conducts Lunch N Learn and distributes educational handouts to home-bound seniors. This program is designed to educate participants on healthy eating for seniors.
- Nutrition Counseling: Custom nutritional guidelines, advice and tips for older adults and their caregivers, provided by a registered dietician.
Meals on Wheels in Hunterdon, Inc.
5 Walter Foran Blvd, Suite 2006
Flemington, New Jersey
Hours: 8:30 to 4:30 pm
Call (908) 284-0735
Website: Meals on Wheels in Hunterdon – https://mowih.org/